Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Request for comments - what shall I do about spam?

Dear friends,

There seems to be an orgy of spamming going on. Mostly, spammers seem to be polluting older posts, such as my interview with Jonathan Cook, but sometimes this crap shows up in more recent comment sections. The "trick" to ask for a word ID before allowing a comment does not seem to work any more. And blogger does not allow me to ban a specific user from commenting. So I am now seriously considering 'moderating' the comments. That would mean that any comment you would leave would be held until I specifically approved it.

Usually, I hate that kind of nonsense, as I hate "moderators" who end up being little more then self-righteous censors; besides, I like to see my comments showing up immediately after I post them. "Moderation" also slows down discussions between users.

Anyway, my question to you is - what do you want me to do? I can either

a) ignore the spam and not bother moderating anything and put up with the idiotic spam in the comment section

or

b) begin moderating the comments

or

c) I could restrict comments to registered users (but that would, I think, rather tedious and preventing the free flow of exchanges).

This blog is really for you - the readers. So please let me know whether you want to do make any changes or not and, if yes, what shall I do.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards,

The Saker